American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Course
The Cortland YMCA partners with the American Red Cross for all of our Life Guard training/certifications.
The Spring and Fall 2015 courses are over. Please stay connected for future opportunities.
$249 YMCA Member
$299 Community Member
*Cost includes book, rescue marks, and CPR/AED.
Basic format of the class
- Pretest to include 300+ yards of Freestyle and Breast Stroke
- Must be able to surface dive to bottom of pool, pick up a brick and swim back with the brick.
- Practice learned skills
- Final test is written and practical, must pass both to obtain certification.
American Red Cross Lifeguard Recertification Course
The Spring and 2015 course has completed. Please stay connected for future opportunities.
Must sign up in advance.
CPR/AED/and Lifeguard Certifications to be obtained.
Optional Waterfront included-must swim 550 yards
Test to consist of:
- Swimming 300 yards (freestyle and breast stroke)
- Written Test and Practical
Participants must be prepared to take tests before they arrive.
Course offered for those with lifeguard certifications.