The Cortland Y is looking for outgoing, responsible, and energetic staff for the following positions:
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Lifeguard at Cortland YMCA creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while promoting and maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Communicates and enforces aquatics rules and guidelines to insure a safe working environment.
- Properly opens, performs daily tasks, and closes aquatics area each day according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Provides excellent service to members, guests, and program participants.
- Maintains a clean, safe, fully stocked and well organized work area.
- Handles and resolves aquatics concerns and informs supervisor of unusual situations or unresolved issues.
- Provides accurate, appropriate, and immediate responses to all requests by members/guests.
- Works without constant direct supervision and remains at assigned post for extended periods of time.
- Attends mandatory meetings and in-services.
- Sets a good example in promptness, respect, manners, honesty and caring for all members, program participants, and guests.
- Maintains a positive attitude and contribute toward a quality work environment.
- Assists in all area of the Y operation as requested by management.
- Reports to work on time
- Wears appropriate staff uniform
- Participates in Open Doors campaign
- Exemplifies YMCA character values
- Maintains positive relations at all times with members, participants, and co-workers
- Minimum age of 15
- Current lifeguard, CPR, First Aid, & AED Certification (American Red Cross or YMCA); CPR and AED must be recertified annually.
- Able to communicate and enforce policies and procedures to members, program participants, and guests.
- Able to react quickly and properly in emergency situations.
- Must have enthusiasm and possess excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Periodically stands for 2.5 hours per day
- Occasionally walk the pool deck
- Constantly sitting for more than 2.5 hours per day
- Occasionally speaking in-person
- Occasionally lifting or moving objects, equipment, and/or weighing up to 20 – 300 pounds or more
- Occasionally handling rescue equipment e.g., pool buoys/ lane ropes
The Cortland YMCA is currently seeking morning and evening part time maintenance staff for immediate openings.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Cleans and sanitizes assigned areas, including such duties as mopping, dusting, and trash removal. May complete duties related to window washing, meeting set up, snow removal, grounds keeping, and other related responsibilities.
- Ensures Y is attractive and clean by completing all duties listed on the daily schedule and maintains upkeep of assigned area and equipment. May perform wet and dust mopping, dusting, trash removal, recycling, window washing, pool cleaning, painting, vacuuming, seasonal activities dealing with lawn care and snow removal, and general cleaning.
- Operates related motorized and non-motorized equipment.
- Records and reports all needed repairs; repairs as directed.
- Ensures YMCA building and property is secure during shift and report incidents and hazardous conditions to supervisor.
- Replaces soap, paper towels, and other supplies.
- May set up furniture for events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Please stop into the Cortland YMCA on 22 Tompkins St. to apply.
Evenings at the JM McDonald Center.
The Cortland County Family YMCA is an equal opportunity employer. Please apply in person at 22 Tompkins Street.