The custodian will serve as a team member who strives for the highest standard of safety, cleanliness, sanitation, organization, and attractiveness of the YMCA buildings and grounds. Applicants must be able to clean locker rooms during and after hours of operation and in accordance with the standards of the Cortland County Family YMCA. We’re looking for a team player who accepts and demonstrates the YMCA mission and core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Following and completing daily housekeeping work schedule in all assigned areas
- Cleaning floors: vacuuming, sweeping, mopping
- Cleaning stairs and baseboard scrubbing
- Cleaning windows, walls, blinds, shades, doors, etc.
- Ceiling care: vent cleaning, bulb repair/replacement, etc.
- Trash removal
- Cleaning common areas
- All restroom/locker room cleaning and sanitation including showers, partitions, toilets, urinals, sinks, counters and lockers
- Maintain and clean YMCA grounds, parking lots, and sidewalks including mowing, shoveling and salting
- Assist with set up and clean up of rooms for special events, including carrying and lifting of tables and chairs
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings, required trainings and workshops, etc.
- Depending upon availability, substitute for other custodial staff
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Education:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Prior custodial work experience preferred, but not necessary
- Knowledge of modern janitorial methods, safety practices, materials and equipment, including the safe use of commercial waxing and buffing machines and other various equipment, detergents, waxes, and cleaning compounds preferred
- Excellent work ethic, human relation skills and communication skills are necessary
- Ability to read and interpret documents and labels such as YMCA policies and procedures, safety rules and chemicals is necessary
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions is necessary
- Perform math calculations (add, subtract, multiply, divide, and measure using whole numbers and common fractions) to calculate correct chemical measurements
- Ability to solve problems, situations and/or complaints from members, program participants, parents, and staff members is necessary
- Ability to complete work with minimum supervision is necessary
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Direction of the YMCA: Understands and supports the mission of the YMCA; displays the YMCA values; displays flexibility and accepts changes; is willing to try new methods and make suggestions; shows a strong commitment to the YMCA; conveys enthusiasm for the YMCA and his/her work.
- Builds Community: Understands and embraces the role of volunteers; helps members and participants make connections to others and to the YMCA; practices effective relationship-building techniques; supports the role of fund-raising in achieving the YMCA mission.
- Provides a Quality Experience for Members, Participants, Internal Customer and Other: Possesses the ability to deliver outstanding experiences for members, participants, internal customers and others; builds warm and supportive relationships; consistently greets and assists everyone in a positive way; strives to provide service that will exceed expectations; responds to concerns and complaints in a way that makes each person feel valued; initiates action for prompt resolution; looks for better ways to serve in involve members, participants, internal customers and others.
- Works Productively: Demonstrates responsible actions; consistently performs duties in a safe and conscientious manner within the agreed upon time frame; follows standards, policies and procedures; is reliable and consistently punctual; actively participates in staff meetings, required trainings, and other work-related activities; uses good judgment; uses YMCA resources appropriately and efficiently.
- Uses Effective Personal Behaviors/Communicates Effectively: Treats everyone with courtesy, respect and consideration; displays integrity; listens actively and genuinely; communicates in a clear and pleasant manner; embraces differences among people; demonstrates an active willingness to learn and grow; accepts constructive criticism; works cooperatively as a team member.
This work requires the following physical activities: climbing, bending, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, sitting, standing, walking, lifting, finger dexterity, grasping, and other repetitive motions. Must be able to stand for extended periods and capable of lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds.
Duties are performed primarily indoors; occasional exposure to wet and /or humid conditions in swimming pool and shower areas, occasional exposure to outdoor conditions, and frequent exposure to cleaning chemicals/products. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to above average.
Evenings and weekends during the summer months. Limited post-summer hours may be available.